1.03.2013

This post has nothing to do with a New Year's resolution so don't get too excited.

I've neglected the blog for a number of reasons. But mostly because I keep journal entries in about a million other places so honestly this blog has fallen off my list of priorities. I keep a family journal, journals for both kids, baby books for both kids and a personal journal and I update all of these at least once a month. Plus I send out a family newsletter every month. So I've been thinking for a while now that I should just post one of the other journal entries I'm writing anyway. And that's what this is. I'm just copying and pasting our family newsletter, adding a few pictures and calling it good.

I doubt I'll post again until next month when I write our newsletter entry again. So enjoy this little glimpse into our lives.


Happy New Year!!! We hope that everyone is enjoying a happy and healthy 2013. We are so far. And… I probably just jinxed us.

We did take Jack to an ENT appointment on Saturday and it looks like he’s starting with a tiny bit of tonsillitis. Awesome. But the tubes in his ears are looking great and doing what they are supposed to so that was good news. The doctor prescribed an antibiotic but told us only to fill it if he started displaying other symptoms besides the horrendous dog breath we’ve been enjoying for the past month or so. After the appointment we went to the station to see Jared because he had been working all day. The first thing Jack said to Jared was, “Daddy I’m not broken!” Adorable. Jack has also been working on using the toilet the last couple of weeks. Santa brought him some Toy Story underwear that he was pretty thrilled about. He still doesn’t quite get the concept of letting me know when he has to go. But he has used the toilet successfully several times so that’s progress. I think the problem is that he gets busy and distracted. But I’m going to let him decide when he’s ready for underwear all day. Right now it’s just for a few hours here and there.

Olive is working hard this month on walking. She spends the day pulling herself up on furniture and cruising around the house. She has even started pulling herself up against walls and using them to balance as she makes her way around. She’s a bouncy, bubbly, happy baby but, oh man, do not cross her. She will let you have it. She also has a flair for the dramatics. (Can’t imagine where she gets that. Probably Jared.) And if she gets bumped or nicked she can really put on a show. Her newest trick is to put her hands up on the sides of her head and pull the most pathetic pouty face I’ve ever seen. She's also trying to use a few signs here and there. That's something that we'll work on a lot in the near future so she can begin communicating with us. 

Work at Aircom and the station keeps Jared as busy as ever. But it’s much easier for me to handle now that I’m not working. I still don’t love it but I’m happy that Jared has good jobs and that he is willing to work so hard providing a comfortable life for our family. He started playing soccer with the department again and has already rolled his ankle. He came home limping and told me what had happened. When I shook my head at him he smiled and announced that at least he stopped the ball. And yes, that was the only reason I was concerned, the thought of the other team scoring was just unbearable. The bad ankle hasn’t stopped him from responding to fire pages and he seems to have recovered for the most part. Hopefully that’s the worst of his injuries this season. But I’m not holding my breath. He’s got a penchant for damaging himself.

We enjoyed a nice, quiet Christmas here in our new house. Because of Jared’s work schedule we didn’t make any trips out of town. But it was nice to spend the day relaxing instead of driving. The kids got some great gifts but we really tried to keep things fairly small so we could focus on the Savior. We made out with the usual bundle of loot at the Aircom party including a 50 inch flat screen so there really isn’t a reason for us to go out and spend a bunch of money every year. For some reason both of our children have a severe aversion to wrapping paper. Neither one of them wanted anything to do with the gifts until they were unwrapped and unboxed. Little weirdos. Jack didn’t even want to help us unwrap the gifts. He kept saying, “Mommy I can’t. You do it.” So Jared and I did a lot of unwrapping this year. We’ll see what they do in February for their birthdays.

We rang in the New Year with Jared at the station so it wasn’t the most exciting night ever. But we did have dinner with friends earlier in the evening and that part was fun. We haven’t had a chance to have FHE yet this week because of Jared’s work schedule but we will do that tonight and work on setting some goals for ourselves individually and as a family. One of the most exciting parts about the coming year is switching to nine o’clock church instead of one. Going to church at one in the afternoon with kids is like slow, awful torture.

Jack the cheeser and Olive the sassy-pants


Looking back at 2012 we received an overwhelming amount of blessings from our Heavenly Father. We have seen His hand guide us through every step of our marriage and for that we are truly grateful and humbled. The new year has presented us with a wonderful opportunity to reflect on our lives and our choices and resolve to do better in the coming year. We’re excited to make new memories and experience new adventures. 
.

1 comment:

Cathy Gray said...

Love the pics, thanks for posting!